Sunday, September 25, 2011

MY NEW BED QUILT AND A GIFT FOR MY SON-IN-LAW

I cant believe how many UFOs I am completeing plus all of my other sewing commitments.
Here are two more to share with you




 I started this replica of a postage stamp quilt about 3 years ago and recently found it in the cupboard and decided it deserved to be completed. It is constructed using assorted scraps cut into 21/2inch squares. There are 30 blocks consisting of 49 of the squares plus double sashing all around, so it is a very large quilt. I origanally wanted it for our caravan, but now its finished and I like it on my bed. Even my DH agrees that it looks right there and brightens the room. I found a vintage sheet at an op shop for just $2.00 and I have used it on the back along with a panel of the 2 1/2 inch squares, sorry forgot to take a photo and my dear friend Dawn quilted it for me on her quilting machine as I could never had done it on my domestic machine.



 At Xmas I gave my 3 daughters a flannel quilt as their gift and my SIL Richard asked where was his soft, cuddly quilt. I found another UFO in the cupboard that I had started at least 8 years ago and put aside as I didnt like it. I pulled it apart and remade it using the 16 patch blocks with solid blocks and left overs for the border. I didnt have enough fabric for the back so I sewed more squares and sewed them with the little bit of fabric I had left and was very pleased with how it turned out. Richard now has a two sided quilt and I am pleased with its rebirth. This is the back on first and below is the front.

The front has turned out quite nice and I am glad that it is finally finished. Richard will get it in November along with hes sons and daughters quilt. their birthdays are all within 7 days of each other so we can all celebrate together when we go on holiday at the beach.
Bye for now Jude

6 comments:

Susan said...

Love the bed quilt - a great way to use up a little bit of your stash! But also a great leaders and enders project. And I am sure richard will be happy snuggling under his quilt!

Laura said...

You give me hope that I may get to finish mine some day!!!

Fiona said...

Both quilts are lovely (well it is really like 3 quilts made?)... and great to have those UFO's done.... lucky son in law... but shhh... all the inlaws will be asking for quilts!
Hugz

Chris H said...

They are just beautiful girl!

Jodi Nelson said...

LOVE the postage stamp quilt. LOVE the yellow sashing!

Wendyb said...

They look great Jude....and isn't that Dawny a clever chicky!!!???
great job...you're zooming through...I feel like I'm sliding behind!!!! LOL
sew many hugs
Wendy XO :O)