Tuesday, May 29, 2012

A Soldier's Star

I recently finished this quilt, A Soldier's Star, in preparation to teach a class (finally, my first quilt finish this year!).  And since it is also Memorial Day here in the US, honoring soldiers - I thought it was doubly appropriate to share today.

"A Soldier's Star" Lap Quilt, 62" x 62"

Designed for the 2011 AccuQuilt Barn Quilt Design contest (← story), the layout was inspired by my son's service with his army combat engineer unit in Afghanistan.  Their mission was "route clearance", sweeping for mines and protecting roadways.  He returned safely last October, and I intended to give it to him then, but haven't been able to quilt it until now!


The design won 2nd place in last year's contest, and if you ever find yourself in Fremont, Nebraska, you can see a 6-ft billboard of it mounted on the side of the AccuQuilt company headquarters. 


Easily made with squares and half-square triangles, I've made it into an 8" potholder, a 22" table topper, now this 62" lap quilt for my son, which he can fold up on the couch or hang on his wall.  All of those sizes can be easily cut out using AccuQuilt dies.  You can see a slideshow from my recent class:  SLIDESHOW

My next goal is to make a bed-size quilt for myself.  I've put together a pattern with instructions to make the quilt in all sizes (except for the potholder - those were 1" finished squares.)  PDF downloadable patterns are available for purchase HERE or HERE.

Happy Quilting!
 

5 comments:

LisaT said...

Nice job, love that! Love the quilting too. And congrats on last year's contest win - 2nd place is a win in my book...

Carli The Quilter said...

I have a son in the Canadian military. He's now in possession of his log cabin quilt I made for him, he's glad to have the quilt at his new place. Love this quilt, good on you for winning!
Carli

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

congrats on the win lovely quilt

FarahLin said...

It's gorgeous - congrats on the win! Fantastic quilting!

Chris H said...

Wow gorgeous!!!