Saturday, May 5, 2012

One floor cushion

It is only early May but I have (already) finished a UFO! I found this pieced top early in February this year. I had pieced it between 9pm and midnight one night of late November or early December 2007 at my LQS mystery night. This was our warm project. The aim was speed over accuracy (cutting several layers at once and fast chain piecing) and it is obvious that accuracy wasn't the focus as points don't always match or are cut off.
Because of the size of my pieced top, it would have made a wall-hanging. But I didn't like the idea of hanging a (badly) pieced quilt on the wall for everyone to look at so I decided to turn it into a floor cushion. I ripped off one row of the top to have a square piece. I added a thin red and a thin black border before quilting my top. I decided to play with the quilting a little and went for a base of squares with echo quilting at different width.

I like that this is now finished and will be useful! And I quite like how it turned out in the end, even if it isn't always well done. The kids love it and have already enjoyed sitting on it, jumping on it, walking on it.... it doesn't bother them that the piecing is not perfect obviously!
Celine

7 comments:

Cath said...

I love this pattern and with the colours, it is very striking. Well done on your finish!
Cath @ Bits 'n Bobs

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

Now I like it!! great colour and pattern

Kaye R said...

Great work, practical use of a piece you felt so so about. Love the pattern and colour combination

Quilting Chemist (Danette) said...

Wonderful finish! I love the colors and pattern. A big pillow for the floor is a great idea, my family would love it.

Cheryl (aka Kayly) said...

I love the look of this. Striking colour choices and pattern.

Robin (RsIslandCrafts) said...

Wonderful finish Celine! Sometimes it just has to be done and not perfect. Still looks striking and of course the kids never notice if things aren't "perfect"

Chris H said...

I can't see a thing wrong with it! It's gorgeous. And I'm glad it's getting used.