Thursday, May 31, 2012

A sad story but happy ending

Once upon a time, like about 16 years ago, I had just joined my first Craft Group.  We made an applique project, which was fine.  I enjoyed learning how to do needleturn applique, and choosing the fabrics. Sewing on the hair of the doll was fun.  But – what was I going to do with this little item?  Well, into the cupboard she went.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Advance about 6 years, and I bought a new sewing machine.  Out came my little applique piece, and I practised a little embroidery on it, using the stitches built into my machine.  I sandwiched it, and did my first stippling using my new machine.  I quilted a fancy stitch in the border, trimmed it off and…….

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Back into the UFO cupboard it went.  I still didnt know what I was going to do with it.  So I left it languishing there for all those years.  We moved house 3 times and still she came with me, but didnt venture out into the light of day.   That is until this month. 

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Some of my Grandies were visiting, and playing putting the “babies” to bed.  They needed blankets and pillows. Suddenly it hit me.  Of course this little piece would be wonderful as a doll blanket.  Out it came, the binding has been added and it is no longer a UFO. Maybe it will live happily ever after.

8 comments:

An Oasis in the Desert said...

That is so adorable. Those "grands" do have a way of bringing out the best ideas in us.....lol!
CAS

Susan said...

Great idea - I'm sure it will get many hours of "usefulness" now.

Dayna at Driving Miss Daisy said...

Very sweet!

Liz said...

Congrats on finishing. So sweet

Annie said...

That's a great story

Allie said...

Great story - so glad she's living in the light of day now!

Quilting Chemist (Danette) said...

So sweet! Congrats on your wonderful finish!

Chris H said...

It's gorgeous! So sad to think of it in a box for years and years! It's going to be used and loved now.